Google

Wednesday, September 26, 2007

The constant quagmire of Presidential voting

Yesterday, I made a partially tongue-in-cheek post about a Nihilist candidate for California governor, and how I would vote for him based simply for the fact that he is up front about not caring about politics. Clearly, this would not make him a terribly effective governor, nor will it win him any votes aside from actual nihilists (which is ironic in itself) and other political apathetics like myself that often throw their vote away in protest of the fact that there is a complete lack of any worthwhile mainstream candidates.

Back on Sunday, Pajamas Media addressed this very problem, breaking down the potential Democratic nominees. I don't necessarily endorse any of these specific viewpoints, except for the larger one at stake here: our political system as it is now is hardly conducive to producing a candidate that could serve its people appropriately.

What do I want, then? For me, it's not really a question of that. I'm more in support of creating an honest discourse about the political state of our nation, and educating the 200 million or so individuals that are voting in order that they can understand what the Presidency actually entails. I'm often sickened by the fact that candidates have to make empty promises in order to get elected, knowing that they won't be able to fulfill these promises. Many people don't realize that this is the case, and they have unrealistic expectations of sweeping change (or staunch fastidity), which never come to pass.

Generally, my viewpoint is probably going to be in the minority, but I'd rather see someone I didn't vote for in office because other people had good reasons for voting for them, instead of just picking a side like they were betting on the Super Bowl.

0 comments: