Google

Friday, September 14, 2007

Why "Deliverance" May Be a Documentary

For the record, I'm no fan of the fluke assault story. Generally, I'm of the opinion that hearing about cases like Elizabeth Smart and Kelsey Smith, tragic as they may be, distract us from more common, widespread issues that we should be discussing: the war, the rising cost of health insurance and growing rates of uninsured employed persons, why Kanye is going to kick 50's ass. So for me to post the link below is definitely a once-in-a-lifetime occurrence:

Read the full article here.

The story itself is upsetting enough: a 20 year-old imprisoned, raped, and tortured by an organized group of psychopaths. But what upsets me most is that the link for this story was at the bottom of the NYTimes webpage, the bottom of the CNN webpage, and wasn't even on the FoxNews site at the time that this was written. I'd be willing to bet that my life savings on the fact that had this been a 20 year-old white woman tortured by two black men and two black women, it would be THE news story of the month. We'd get constant updates on network news. Presidential candidates would reference the story in speeches, and Nancy Grace would be all over it like white on race--I mean, rice. And they sure as hell wouldn't have a bail set at $100,000.

0 comments: