Google

Monday, October 15, 2007

Bono for Jesus, again

U2's impending merge with The Almighty has made further progress, as I discovered the announcement for the U2charist.

For those of you unfamiliar with Catholicism and its direct subsidiaries, Episcopalianism and Lutheranism, the Eucharist is, in brief, both a celebration of Jesus' Last Supper as well as the physical representation of his body and blood taken during the Mass (this is true in Catholicism, at least; I'm not so sure about those heathen Protestants).

Anyhow, furthering the link/indiscriminate line between religion and popular culture, the U2charist is a traditional religious service served by the wonderfully uplifting music of U2. See the mission statement below:

"The U2charist is a great opportunity to reach out to the people in your congregation and larger community, especially young people. This service the music and message of U2 about global reconciliation, justice for the poor and oppressed, and the importance of caring for your neighbor. Led by the global [Millennium Development Goals] ambassador, Bono, U2 is calling people worldwide to a deeper faith and engagement with God's mission. The U2charist seeks to be an extension of this ministry."

Though this disclosure is not really needed, I'm not a terribly large fan of U2. Therefore, I understand that my bias against their music distorts my view of their rabidly evangelistic fan base. To me, this union of church and U2 makes perfect sense, as I've seen firsthand how some U2 fans worship Bono. I make fun of Tom Cruise all the time for being the Jesus of Scientology, but is Bono going to be perceived as the Second Coming? This is only half a joke.

0 comments: