Google

Monday, October 8, 2007

Le Week-end from Nice

As the first in a series of six, tonight I'll begin posting some pictures I have from Nice. I'll be doing my best to post it in a photo essay, but I'm not so sure how well the whole "essay" thing will work out.

I'd like to share my thoughts and musings on what it was like over there, but I feel strange simply relaying journal-type information, as I'm not confident enough in my own observations to think that you all might actually care what I have to say about it. That, and it's really hard to conceptualize how you really feel when you're on a trip like this. Everything moves incredibly quickly (even when you're sitting at cafés for hours a day), and speaking and thinking in another language certainly throws me off-kilter — in a good way of course, but it's disorienting nonetheless.

This observation brings me to the recognition of a realization I've had recently, which is that taking pictures is important. Though a static image can never recapture what was actually experienced in the moment, it is an effort to do so, something which memory cannot accomplish. The memory of an event is a separate animal from a picture, which does not describe, but only shows what has been. As a result, I plan to show you the things I've seen, and I'll attempt to describe them, but an accurate portrayal of the former is the only promise I can give.

With that said, here's a snapshot from the coast of the Mediterranean, looking back up at Mont Boron, where I stayed with my girlfriend and her family in for the week that was September 29-October 5.



To see more pictures and more of my pontifications from my first two days in Nice, click here.

0 comments: