Google

Sunday, October 7, 2007

More from that sports thingy

Because I'm just back in town, I've decided to break my no-work-on-weekend rule and post something tonight, in order to dip my feet back into the Pasty pool. Granted, someday I plan to have my feet both in that pool and in the Mediterranean (see picture),


but unfortunately, that was something I could not accomplish last week. Fear not, as I will be sharing many more pictures of the like every day for the next week, so I hope you enjoy this Quail's take on a vacation in southern France.

For now, though, I'm watching the Chicago Bears play the Green Bay Packers. I find myself having difficulty caring, yet mind you, I am a Chicago Bears FAN. I cried after big losses until I was like 10. I still follow them weekly, watching them at every chance I get, but I just can't get emotionally invested in one the biggest rivalries in the sports universe.

It seems to me, seeing how much I love Bears football, that I should hate the Packers. Maybe it's because I don't live in Chicago anymore (and probably why, as a White Sox fan, I don't hate the Cubs). That certainly makes sense; I am sure with many other Bears fans around, I would be apt to get more excited about them.

However, I think the real reason is that Brett Favre rules. For 16 years, this unassuming gentleman has been busy breaking almost every major record in NFL history. This fact, coupled with a Super Bowl ring, pretty much cements him above Dan Marino as an NFL quarterback. This makes me sad, for I love Marino as well (I was even in a band in college that bore his name, though it was not named after him).

Everyone told Favre to retire, and he didn't. Now the Packers are 4-0 and beating the shit out of my Bears (though the score is closer than it should be). He's a likable guy who got a handle on alcoholism, and whose wife beat breast cancer. You can't hate that.

Plus, he has been kicking my favorite team while it's been down about 70% of the time over the past 2 decades. Kind of reminds me of someone else, but I can't put my finger on it. . .



When it's no longer a rivalry, it's tough to get too excited about it.


Bonus Question: There is still one debate: Whose cameo was better? Dan Marino in "Ace Ventura: Pet Detective," or Brett Fav-re in "There's Something about Mary?"

1 comments:

charlsiekate said...

For some strange reason, I have spent all weekend talking about the fact that Brett Favre is awesome, so I'm not surprised to wake up on monday morning and read about his awesomeness here. He's such an all american badass. Everyone loves him. What's not to love?