Google

Wednesday, October 17, 2007

MORE religion and the election

With the 2008 Election just over 12 months away, the issues are heating up. Though people seem to be saying that religion is not a huge deal for the upcoming circus that is the presidential race, I can't seem to go a day without seeing at least one thing about it. That's probably an effect of where I go to get my news, but at least I can pass this important knowledge on to you, the reader.

In that mode, Bob Jones III, chancellor of the Greenville, South Carolina, Christian-affiliated Bob Jones University, has officially leveled his endorsement for president.

His statements to open the column sum up everything that is a bit skewed with the American voter: "This is all about beating Hillary," and "What is the alternative, Hillary’s lack of religion or [Mormon candidate Mitt Romney's] erroneous religion?" I find it strange that he would endorse either, to be honest. I really am not sure why an erroneous religion would be better than a lack of it.

Jones continues, "As a Christian I am completely opposed to the doctrines of Mormonism," he said. "But I’m not voting for a preacher. I’m voting for a president. It boils down to who can best represent conservative American beliefs, not religious beliefs."

Surely this clarifies his position on Romney, but if this is the case, then why is it "all about beating Hillary?"

The polarizing rhetoric of partisan politics continues to confuse me.

0 comments: