Google

Wednesday, October 10, 2007

RADIOHEAD

As I'm listening to the new album, In Rainbows, which I downloaded last night and received about 30 minutes ago, I'm left to ponder further the insanity surrounding the release of this album.

First of all, here's guitarist Jonny Greenwood's website post from October 1, which came after at least 2 years of very minimal information regarding this album's release. Eleven days ago, most (if not all) of the world had no idea this would be happening, and then, all of a sudden, it's here.

I love that this album is being sold and promoted entirely by Radiohead. Of course, they have the financial stability to take this shot in the dark, but I'm glad they did. In fact, several other bands without recording contracts are planning to do the same thing.

Of course this is a huge shot to the major record companies, not only from losing the necessary capital they receive from (obviously) pushing copies of the album, but also that which their losing from other promotions and tours. I really like Trent Reznor's quote in the article about being a "free agent;" I thought that was an inventive term.

The story here for band is that they continue to live their dream, making the music they enjoy without care or worry of the monetary consequences (I paid $7 for the album, though I'm thinking now I might have paid more in support of this wonderful concept - it's revolutionary art in a sense), much like their predecessors did once long ago:



Yet, the story here for the record companies is the same that it's been for the last 8 years or so (since the death of the boy band era, and the rise of digital music): IT'S OK TO CHANGE YOUR BUSINESS MODEL. The record companies are not dead, nor should they be; not everyone has the money to support themselves like Radiohead does, and I think ready-made financial backing for up-and-coming groups can be a good thing.

However, if the major labels would just get someone to smack them upside the head so that they'd realize there are other ways to sell and promote music, then maybe they could get a hold on their plummeting profits, and start doing something positive for the music industry. Maybe this will help. . .

Regardless, I'm only through 5 songs of In Rainbows, and I'm in heaven. I've said it before, and I'll say it now: Radiohead really may be the greatest group of musicians since those four gentlemen pictured above graced the planet with their glorious sounds 40 years ago.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

where the F do i go on the website to download the album. that is all

Greg Smith said...

It looks like the site is down now, we will either email the album to you or make you a physical copy if you are in Athens. Email the pastyquail@gmail.com with your info and we will get back to you.