Google

Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Was Jesus Cool?

I'm sure we've posted this wonderful picture before, but it's relevant to this particular post, which is in response to a query posed on whether or not you think Jesus was cool. I'd like to carry this debate to The Pasty Quail and see where people weigh in on the subject.

In the interest of full disclosure, I find inquiries like this phenomenally ridiculous, because who really knows if Jesus was cool or not, based both on the floating definition of cool and the unknowable nature of the historical Jesus. All I know is that Jesus is whatever you make him, so in that sense, sure, I think he was cool. At least in the Bible he comes across as such in the literal definition, meaning he attracted lots of people to him and handled himself well under pressure.

What do you all think?

Note: For more takes on Jesus' representation in American culture, read this riveting book.

0 comments: