Google

Thursday, November 29, 2007

Jedi-worshipers congregate outside Harrison Ford's ranch


Yeah, this is pretty self-explanatory. A group of people who claim to practice Jedi-ism have assumed Harrison Ford (the man, not Han Solo the character) as their leader, going so far as to pray outside his Wyoming ranch.

A couple of issues here:

1.) Why is Han the object of their worship? Granted, Ford is MUCH hotter than Mark Hamill, but I'm pretty sure he wasn't a Jedi.

2.) According to one poll, Jedi-ism is the 4th largest belief system in Britain. Wow.

3.) I wonder if people actually recognize the distinction between Ford and his character — i.e. one is a mostly regular dude 30 years removed from this single role in a movie, and the other is, that's right, a film character in a fictional universe.

Of course I'm just being facetious, because we all should believe that people would be cognizant of this. Yet, where is this connection people make when they go so far as to pray to celebrities personally? Do they expect anything from it?

Regardless, Ford's reaction is my favorite part, and what I hope to say when inevitably I am mistakenly worshiped later in life: "It's flattering," he says, "but I can't accept their prayers."

0 comments: