Google

Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Start the Countdown: 1 Year to Election '08!!

Yes, thats right we are just 1 short year away from electing another group of incompetent/ineffective legislators and an administration that has no interest in listening to the people that elected it. Hooray!! Anyways, here are a few quick hits from todays election news:

- Ron Paul raised a record $3.8 million yesterday in celebration of Guy Fawkes Day. I don't really like Ron Paul - if you have a problem with Bush's communication issues on camera, this guy is gonna drive you crazy. However, I have to admit, his internet campaign has been impressive; also, the fact that he has maintained a presence in this campaign is amazing.

- Colbert has officially ended his presidential campaign. There are reports that Obama's supporters made calls to the South Carolina Dems, urging them to leave Colbert off the ballot. Although the South Carolina Democratic Executive Board's vote to bar him from the ballot was a major defeat, I have a feeling that the writer's strike was the final blow. I was really looking forward to a debate involving Colbert and the other 'real' candidates; oh well, maybe next time.

- Hillary's campaign has wobbled a little recently, but she still appears to be the one to beat on the Democrat's side. She leads Obama by 19 points and Edwards by 30 points.

- Mike Huckabee is playing to his strength and aggressively campaigning to Christian Conservatives in an effort to unseat Romney and Guiliani from the top of the GOP heap. He was seen preaching from the pulpit in several Dallas-area Baptist churches last weekend.

So far, the Pasty Quail staff has been unable to decide on which of the candidates to support in the upcoming elections. Personally, I don't like any of them, but I am open to hearing your opinions on who we should get behind and why. Give us your thoughts in the comments section.

3 comments:

charlsiekate said...

I don't like any of them either. Honestly they all get on my nerves. Plus I disagree with all of them on at least one major issue.

Maybe I should find a new country.

Unknown said...

If the Pasty Quail were to throw its support behind me I would be unstoppable Mwahahahaha

Anonymous said...

Each of you guys probably knows enough about my political philosophy to guess which candidate I like. I've heard about Paul for years and have been known to actually watch him on C-SPAN if I flip by and see him addressing the House (this usually happens in the middle of the night). His confrontations with Greenspan over monetary policy are also legendary for free-market econ geeks like myself.

Greg's correct in observing that he's not the best public speaker of the current lot, but if I can find a candidate whose policies I'm 80-90% in favor of (as opposed to 80-90% appalled by) then I'm pretty damn happy.

-Matt