Google

Tuesday, September 18, 2007

It's official: I don't like Dane Cook

So, the Sports Guy has drawn a lot of ire in the last couple years by sports bloggers, particularly because he can be a smarmy douche, and mostly because he refuses to acknowledge the existence of any other sports teams aside from the Red Sox and Patriots.

I will stand and defend him on one account — that he writes mostly good columns about the NBA, and though he's not as fun to read as he used to be, I chalk that up much more to ESPN's treatment of sports coverage, his subsequent large paycheck from them, and the fact that he's 15 years older than the people who are making fun of him. We often seem to forget that people change when they get older and have kids.

Anyhow, this post is not about Bill Simmons directly, but more about the massively moronic exploits of Dane Cook, pictured here:



He's a dreamboat, no? Anyhow, as most of you know, Mr. Cook is a wildly successful comedian, and recently Greg and myself were discussing his relative merits, as both of us were largely ambivalent toward him at the time. His humor is sophomoric, but there's nothing inherently bad about that. We watched a piece of his stand-up special, and even though I don't particularly like stand-up comedy, I understand that it's an extremely difficult medium to undertake, and I enjoyed a laugh here and there. This is more than I can say for most of your run-of-the-mill stand-up comics, so I decided that Dane Cook would remain underneath my "indifferent" category.

Ah yes, the point. It appears that on an ESPN chat just a few days ago (don't bother to ask why Dane Cook was administering a chat on ESPN), he publicly bashes Bill Simmons. Now, I don't know, but wouldn't someone who was good at his job be able to come up with a clever or funny insult? I mean, the guy is a fucking comedian.

0 comments: